January 25, 2010
CONTACT: Melissa DelaCalzada
The Institute for Palliative Medicine at San Diego Hospice Celebrates 20th Anniversary
When: Wednesday, January 27, 7 p.m.
Where: The Institute for Palliative Medicine at San Diego Hospice, 4311 Third Avenue, San Diego, 92103 (Hillcrest area)
What: The Institute for Palliative Medicine at San Diego Hospice will celebrate 20 years of achievements at a reception featuring:
- A presentation by The Institute’s leadership team
- Presentation of the first annual Hastings Center Cunniff-Dixon Physician Award to Dr. Jeffrey Stoneberg
- Participation by 30 international Palliative Care leaders from 18 countries
- San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders
- San Diego City Councilmember Todd Gloria
- Representatives of The Hastings Center and Cunniff-Dixon Foundation
- San Diego Hospice / Institute for Palliative Medicine President & CEO Jan Cetti
- Institute for Palliative Medicine Provost Dr. Charles von Gunten
- Dr. Frank D. Ferris, Institute Director of International Programs
- Hastings Center Cunniff-Dixon Award winner Dr. Jeffrey Stoneberg, D
- International physicians participating in the Leadership Development Initiative
- Key local, national, and international business leaders.
About The Institute for Palliative Medicine at San Diego Hospice
The Institute for Palliative Medicine at San Diego Hospice is internationally recognized for its excellence in palliative care education and research. Dedicated to the relief of suffering through the transformation of health care, it focuses on discovering, demonstrating and disseminating strategies for palliative care in existing health care systems whether here in San Diego or throughout the world. Home to the country’s largest palliative medicine physician fellowship program, The Institute for Palliative Medicine also provides education to more than 2,000 health care professional and students each year. The Institute helped pioneer the palliative medicine subspecialty approved by the American Board of Medical Specialties in 2006. For more information, visit The Institute for Palliative Medicine’s new website at www.palliativemed.org
Palliative care is the prevention and relief of suffering by a specialized medical team that focuses on managing symptoms, relieving pain, and improving quality of life, whatever the diagnosis.