May 13, 2011
CONTACT: Lani Lutar
619-234-6423 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Gayle Lynn Falkenthal, APR
619-997-2495 or email@example.com
SDCTA Announces Golden Fleece Award Finalists
Dubious recipients revealed at Golden Watchdog & Golden Fleece Awards Dinner May 19
(San Diego) - The San Diego County Taxpayers Association (SDCTA) today announced the finalists for its annual Golden Fleece Awards categories including Metro and Regional Fleeces, and a new Fleece category titled “Repeat Offenders.”
Golden Fleeces are given to government programs/services that exemplify the wasteful, inefficient or downright absurd use of taxpayer dollars.
The recipients of these dubious awards will be “honored” along with the winners of the Golden and Media Watchdog, Public-Private Partnership, and “It’s About Time” awards at SDCTA’s annual dinner at the Town and Country Resort & Convention Center in Mission Valley on Thursday, May 19.
The Metro Golden Fleece finalists are:
- Centre City Development Corporation – A Losing Game of Bridge
- Cities of Oceanside and Chula Vista – Playing the Pension Shell Game
- City of Poway –Water Policy Rolling Downhill
- San Diego City Employees’ Retirement System Board – Generous to a Fault
- County of San Diego – SAFE Cracking
- San Diego Unified School District – Aloha to Taxpayers’ Money
- Southwestern College – Is There a Manager in the House?
- Sweetwater Union High School District – Let The Taxpayers Eat Wedding Cake
- City of Carlsbad – Tripping Up with a Triple Bogey
- City of Chula Vista – Return of the Taxasaurus
- Tri-City Hospital District – The “All My Children” of Hospital Districts
For more information about the 16th Annual Golden Watchdog and Golden Fleece Awards Dinner please call the San Diego County Taxpayers Association at (619) 234-6423 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The San Diego County Taxpayers Association is a non-profit, non-partisan organization, dedicated to promoting accountable, cost-effective and efficient government and opposing unnecessary new taxes and fees. Founded in 1945, SDCTA has spent the past 66 years saving the region’s taxpayers millions of dollars, as well as generating information to help educate the public.