May 5, 2010
CONTACT: Lani Lutar
619-234-6423 or email@example.com
Gayle Lynn Falkenthal, APR
619-997-2495 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Award Finalists Announced for Good Governance, Media Initiatives
Winners revealed at Golden Watchdog & Golden Fleece Awards Dinner May 20
(San Diego) - The San Diego County Taxpayers Association (SDCTA) today announced the finalists in its annual Golden Watchdog, Media Watchdog, Public Private Partnership and “It’s About Time” awards.
These are the awards highlighting smart, sensible practices in taxpayer-funded programs, and public service reporting on issues of concern to taxpayers.
The Golden Watchdog is awarded to government programs/services that exemplify efficient use of tax dollars or good government practices. The Media Watchdog recognizes excellence in reporting on behalf of taxpayers. The Public-Private Partnership Award is given to those programs that are stretching taxpayer dollars through innovative collaborations between public agencies and the private sector. The “It’s About Time” award highlights a positive government program, service or action that could have been implemented sooner, but deserves positive recognition nonetheless.
The Metro Golden Watchdog finalists are:
- East County Cities – Heartland Fire Rescue Consolidation Efforts
- City of Poway – Lowering Poway’s Unfunded Pension Liability
- City of Santee – Citywide Pension Reform
- County of San Diego - New Medical Examiner's Office and Forensics Center
- County of San Diego – Once Upon a Partnership
- Olivenhain Municipal Water District – Holding the Line on Rate Increases
- County of San Diego – Project Green
- County of San Diego Human Resources Department – E-Benefits Program
- Grossmont Union High School District – Propositions U & H Bond Programs
- City/County Managers Association – Pension Reform Recovery
- City of Solana Beach / Trex. Co – Plastic Bag Recycling Initiative
- Multi-Agency/Community Groups – Healthcare Savings Program
- Multi-Agency/San Diego CleanTECH – Public Facilities Renewable Energy Projects
- City of San Diego / San Diego Tourism Marketing District – Tourism Promotion Funding
- Steven Bartholow, San Diego News Network – “Potholes-a-Plenty”
- Kelly Bennett and Dagny Salas, voiceofsandiego.org – “Out of Reach” series
- Rob Davis, voiceofsandiego.org – “Outsourcing to Pension Consultant is Illegal Attorney Says”
- Jeff McDonald, San Diego Union-Tribune – “Slater-Price Fails to Report Gifts of Tickets”
- Miriam Raftery, East County Magazine and 10News – “Water Board Stirs Flood of Controversy”
- Eleanor Yang Su, San Diego Union-Tribune – “S.D. Marathon Runs Into Controversy”
- Mark Walker, North County Times – “Tax Collector Still Lags in Paying Refunds”
- J.W. August, Mitch Blacher, Christian Cazares, Lauren Reynolds, 10News – “Water Department Bonuses”
- Envision San Diego Team, KPBS – “The Legacy of Proposition 13”
- Michael Turko, KUSI – “Double Trouble for Online Property Tax Payers”
- Charisse Yu, 10 News – “SDUSD School Fees Series”
For more information about the 15th Annual Golden Watchdog and Golden Fleece Awards Dinner please call the San Diego County Taxpayers Association at (619) 234-6423 or email email@example.com.
The San Diego County Taxpayers Association is a non-profit, non-partisan organization, dedicated to promoting accountable, cost-effective and efficient government and opposing unnecessary new taxes and fees. Founded in 1945, SDCTA has spent the past six decades saving the region’s taxpayers millions of dollars, as well as generating information to help educate the public.